booker t. soltreyne
- 3Arts matched
- 101% contributed
In a Nutshell
Combining song, poetry, and interviews about race and politics, "booker t. soltreyne" is a new CD and archival project that reflects on how old pedagogies and processes of racism still exist in the Obama Era.
The Full Story...
booker t. soltreyne: a race rekkid is a CD archive of sound design that combines song, poetry and interviews that deal with matters of race and politics in America. Referencing packaging and marketing of the “race recordings” of the 1920’s and 40’s, booker t. soltreyne will reflect upon how the old pedagogies and processes of racism still exist in the Obama Era.
Why support booker t. soltreyne: a race rekkid
1. If you understand the ways in which music/song have been utilized in social justice movements
2. If you are interested in investing in the art of an artist who continues in the tradition of such artists as; Nina Simone, Gil Scott Heron, Eugene McDaniels…
3. If you interested in supporting art that desires to be a reference point in Race, Politic and Gender courses throughout various academic institutions
4. If you find it exciting that my students can see and hear mi in the same vein in which they see the artists who create work that do not make the effort in trying to heal the wind.
This project is years in the making and the only thing that will keep it from happening is the lack of resources. Records labels have said to me, "people don't want to hear a black Bob Dylan who sings like James Brown. Do you have any club bangers?"
If you are interested in proving those executives wrong and believe that music for the people should come from the people, then PLEASE support booker t. soltreyne: a race rekkid. Your support will allow me to pay for an engineer, additional musicians, CD reproductions, and all the print and publicity needs.
Thank you for supporting booker t. soltreyne: a race rekkid
Contribute any amount or choose from the levels below.
- Download of the recording session of a song from the booker t. soltreyne: a race rekkid ($0.00 is tax deductible.)
- All of the above plus a special edition booker t. soltreyne print ($0.00 is tax deductible.)
- All of the above plus producer credit on CD ($0.00 is tax deductible.)
- All of the above plus a video download of avery r. young performing booker t. soltreyne material ($0.00 is tax deductible.)
- All of the above plus executive producer credit on the CD and a personal birthday song video message from avery r. young ($0.00 is tax deductible.)
avery r. youngMerrill Lynch Awardee
Interdisciplinary artist avery r. young is a 3Arts Award winning teaching artist, composer and producer with work that spans the genres of music, performance, visual arts and literature. Examining and celebrating Black American history and culture, his work also focuses …View avery r. young's profile
- No updates yet, stay tuned!
Thank you to the following for contributing to 3Arts with the recommendation that we support this project.
3AP is funded in part by support from: